Friday, April 11, 2008

He Is One Reason Why I Fight MS



The other day is not the first time I had a horrific experience with medication I have taken to slow the progression of multiple sclerosis and I am sure it will not be the last. To see my grandson smile make me want to fight to be around as long as I can for him and my family.

There comes a time when I and I alone must make difficult decisions about my healthcare. Only people who live with this unpredictable illness can no what I am going through. Living with multiple sclerosis is not a cakewalk and it is a daily struggle to stay positive and navigate your life living with MS. I am not going to lie, it is a daily fight for me, but I am thankful that I have an inner strength that picks me back up to fight and not give in to MS.


My neurologist decided I should start Betaseron as soon as possible to slow the progression of MS. I understand as a doctor why she wants me to immediately continue a treatment. At the end of the day the decision has to be mine, therefore, I told my doctor, “After my terrifying experience the other day, I do not want to take anything right now. Yes, I know MS can cause serious problems if left untreated, but I have had serious problems treating it, so what is the difference".

I have decided to go without treatment to slow the progression of multiple sclerosis for now. I AM NOT QUITTING MY FIGHT WITH MS; I need to do this for me right now. In my heart, I know that my body cannot take another terrifying episode while on treatment.

There are risks in all of the DMD's available to slow the progression of MS. I plan to go without treatment until my MRI starts showing new activity of brain lesions or if I start having too many exacerbations. I hope that I can go a long while before any new changes. When the time come for me to go back on a treatment, I believe I will try Tysabri because it is a once a month infusion instead of weekly injections. I have had all I can take from injections.

Farewell Copaxone you have been kind to me; for the last several years you did stabilized my brain lesions, but my body can no longer tolerate you.

4 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

QUALITY OF LIFE, really, what are we alive for? A car could hit us tomorrow. NOBODY even knows what these MS drugs will do to us long term---good or bad,THEY DON'T KNOW. Follow your heart, we at least have choices. Your boy is worth seeing his grandma happy, not stressed out over drugs.

Aparelho de DVD said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If ossible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aparelho de DVD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aparelho-dvd.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anne said...

I am glad you have made a decision you can live with and as you know, I too do not take any of the MS drugs.

However, I do take a load of supplements that fill in the blanks where my diet may fall short and I follow an exercise regimen as well.

I hope you are well for a long, long time. Best wishes, Anne

Blinders Off said...

I beieve this is the right decision for me, considering my experiences on DMD's.