Thursday, September 4, 2008

Solu-Medrol to the Rescue

I believe MS is a jealous disease. Remember when my body felt split in half, eventually my right side was slowing mending back to my left, but it still feel different from my left side, just not as intense from when I first talked about it. Two weeks ago, the right side of my head down through my neck and slightly below my right shoulder was becoming more painful than the other part of my right side. In the beginning I brushed it off thinking maybe I slept wrong, but as the days went by the pain intensified to the point, I could not move my head.

Still not wanting to believe it was an exacerbation creeping up on me. I start taking my Lortab for the pain and Zanaflex for the spasticity. I thought I had it under control because the drugs were working. I continued with my life attending the candidate I support for Mayor meetings and rallies. With the holiday, approaching I was ecstatic that my youngest daughter was coming home and I would have all my girls home for the holiday. I start preparing all of their favorite foods and while I was at it, I cooked collard greens and pinto beans to freeze for later use.

Nothing was going to stop me from enjoying my girls and grandson Labor Day weekend; it has been since July, that all of my girls were in one room. I was overjoyed of having my family together, that is when I realized MS is a jealous disease, my pain and spasticity that Lortab and Zanaflex had in control was being overpowered. I was no longer getting relief from the drugs. I put on a brave face and enjoyed my family; I REFUSED to lie in bed during their visit because of how I was feeling. I am paying the price now for not giving in to symptoms of MS that tried to take my joy away. Had I given in to MS I know I would have become depressed. Exacerbations had robbed me of many fun times with my family that put me in a depress state of mind. After my last bout of depression, I developed an attitude of fight or die and I am not dying anytime soon.

When I woke up Sunday morning, I could not walk; the pain and spasticity in my head went into my upper right hip. MS was showing me it could take me down no matter how hard I was fighting. The drugs were no longer helping the pain; I was wishing I never stopped taking morphine. I finally waved the white flag and called my neurologist, I need reinforcement. This MS exacerbation was not going anywhere soon. I no longer could move my head, or walk without the use of my cane, and the pain was too intense.

Solu-Medrol to the rescue, today is the first day of three 1000mg of steroids. (I am hoping for that high energy euphoria feeling this time around. The last time I had steroids I was one angry agitated witch.) Symptoms of MS did not win this go round...

I WON this battle because I enjoyed my family the holiday weekend.


Denver Refashionista said...

Good for you. Soemtimes we go on and do what we want to despite the pain. I did the same thing most of the weekend. I had a headache and nausea off and on for four days but I insisted on visiting with family and doing things with my husband. I am glad I did because it's all work from here.

I hope the steroids treat you right and you are feeling better in no time.

Shauna said...

What a gorgeous family!

Feel good soon!


Anonymous said...

As much as I might complain or hate the lack of sleep from IVSM, I sure do like what I accomplish when I am on it.

Glad you got to be with your family. Three days IVSM will fly by.

Take care,

Diane J Standiford said...

You are blessed with Solumedrol And a loving family. Yeah!

Blinders Off said...

I have day one done and so far so good. In the early hours, I was feeling anxious and agitated. At this moment, I feel as if I am being surged with energy and my household lights are sooo bright. When my lights appear bright that is usually a good sign for me that this Solu-Medrol trip will go well. (Knock on wood)

Hey, I am also being my own nurse. The home nurse came out and got me started. He asked if I am okay with giving my self the saline and heparin after the medication is empty and if I would be okay remove my IV after the last dose. I told him I have no problem with that, I removed my IV plenty of times when escaping from the emergency room after I found out I was okay and they were taking their sweet time getting my release papers together :)

You, know he said, “I wish he had more courageous patients like you, but if you have any questions from the directions I wrote, do not hesitate to call and I will come out if you need me”. How sweet is that!

Tia's Real Talk said...

Satan is such a liar!!!!!! It makes me sooo angry when he starts to roar his ugly head into the lives of God's children. You did right! Don't let anything steal your time or joy. That's exactly what MS is..a time stealer! Spend that time with your gorgeous was worth the pain wasn't it? Keep the faith..God knows what you are going thru. He also knows your heart. Believe in Him. Believe in your healing and claim it! I found out that MS was probably the best thing to happen to me. I know we are over come by our testimonies and that it's not for me but for someone else. I also know He wont put more on me than I could bare. In knowing that I know that I am strong and can handle this small test/trial that He allowes. We are strong woman girlfriend! If we weren't would He have allowed such a task? Live your life, take care of you, keep God first and keep it moving!

Tia's Real Talk said...

Forgive my jacked spelling but my sister was going thru the same pain. She thought it was a tooth ache cause by a nerve. But it spreaded to her face, down her jaw, down her neck sholder and arm. She felt numbness and tingles. They thought it was tri-geminal (here where jacked spelling comes in lol) well it was not that it wasn't MS either. So now we are trying to figure out what could it be. I think it's stress..the docs are they are with almost

日月神教-向左使 said...